Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Yankee Narrative

It is intriguing to unveil my timeline that brings forth a passion for Yankee baseball. Where do I start? When I first began to follow the Yankees, I was around the age of 6 or 7. These were the years I started playing little league baseball. These were the years every young boy playing baseball wanted to be the next big league superstar. It can be known as a form of personal drive or just another form of a dream. When I was in the 5th grade, the entire class took time to fill out their goal in life that would later be published in the yearbook. My goal was to play shortstop for the New York Yankees even though I was left handed. (Everyone knows lefties only make it in the Major League as a potential pitcher, first baseman, or outfielder). But that known fact never altered my goal. I wanted to be the next Derek Jeter.

When discussing the word narrative, the words that come to mind are fictive or a self-written story. This form of a narrative tells more about me and why I chose the New York Yankees to be my favorite baseball team. My parents grew up in a town close to New York called Wallingford, Connecticut. In Connecticut, if you’re an avid baseball follower, you are a New York Yankee fan or a Boston Red Sox fan. My father’s uncle always took him to double header games in the Bronx as a child. They always purchased tickets on the first base line right above the Yankee dugout. This could account for the roots of Yankee blue and white that runs in our families’ blood. My dad tells me the stories of watching the great Yankee outfielder’s Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. He even got the opportunity to walk on the field after the games for autographs and monument visits. Another interesting activity was letting anyone who wanted the opportunity to run the base paths. Wow, amazing how times have changed. You pretty much hope to have your ticket number called now-a-days just too even grasp that opportunity. Therefore, my father has always been a Yankee since day one and has been passing the torch to me ever since I can remember. It is hard to state a claim being a die hard Yankee and having been born in the Tampa, Florida area. I don’t receive much credit but do catch a vast amount of criticism. You’re just a band wagon, you’re not even from New York, or they only win because they buy championships. The answer is no, yes, and no.

The Yankees are one of the greatest organizations within the sports realm. Let’s face it; the number of World Series the Yankees have won is leading the pack of previous World Series champions in the dust. It helps their winning ways with the simple fact of having a higher payroll than the remainder of the league. However, like I have mentioned in my last blog, a championship is never won unless a team can put the bat on the ball and play defense. If you don’t have the dedication it takes to win consistently throughout 162 regular season games, no team will produce any kind of season worth a playoff run. I defend the Yankees case until the day is old because they are my number one. The team is built around winning ways and it has served their organization as a great tradition. It is said that everyone wants to be a Yankee. For example, "It's great to be young and a Yankee." -Hall of Fame Pitcher Waite Hoyt. This quote by Hoyt serves as an example of why everyone wants to be a Yankee. I found several other Yankee quotations online that are close in resemblance to the one I used. Overall, their successful past plays such an emotional role when it comes time for the playoffs. I expect them to make it every year and if they don’t I am devastated. It is crazy how a team’s outcome can have such a mental effect on their followers.

I have stayed up late until the end of every thriller whether it’s during the regular season or a strong playoff run. I have seen it all from their years of World Series disappointment to their championship run this past season. I was so happy to see the newer Yankees set yet another traditional winning season. Let’s face it; any year the Red Sox don’t win the World Series is a great one. This blog in its entirety was easier to write than others only because of the fact it was directed towards why I love the Yankees. However, next week I look to deliver information on the upcoming 2010 season. Spring training is only a little over 3 weeks away, GET EXCITED!!

1 comment:

  1. I feel that growing up with a team at heart makes you so much more emotionally invested in the team later in your life. The team is not only just a social tool anymore, it becomes one of the few links to your childhood. I am the same way with the Buffalo Bills. I look through old family photos and there I am, a little child decked out from head to toe in Bills gear. Much like you, my family was born and raised Bills fans, and they passed that tradition down to me. We embrace our teams and defend them because in a way, we are defending our traditions and memories.

    ReplyDelete